TAFTIE TASKFORCE ON STATE AID RULES FOR R&D&I
The Task Force has finalised proposals for the renewal of the State Aid Rules for R&D&I (March 2011).
The document presents a number of proposals for the Commission to consider during the on-going mid-term review of the current R&D&I State aid framework, and during a more comprehensive review leading to the reform of the rules in 2013, when the current rules expire. The proposals are structured in two groups, one in which there is already sufficient experience and rationale to make a detailed proposal how to change or amend the current rules. The other group consists of more complex issues, where experience has shown that changes are needed, but where no easy or simple solution has presented itself.
The document represents the work and views of TAFTIE, i.e. key organisations in Europe responsible for implementing R&D&I policies, especially those related to public funding and thereby State aid. TAFTIE agencies have collectively a unique and comprehensive view of the practical challenges and experiences related to implementing the State aid framework for R&D&I. The purpose of this report is to bring this extensive experience and insight to the disposal of the Commission to help it in its deliberations leading to reforms in the State aid legislation.
You can download here:
TAFTIE proposals for the renewal of State Aid Rules for RDI
Report of activities during 2010
Activities of the Taskforce have concentrated on:
- Collecting views and experiences from participating agencies of the practical challenges and problems faced when using the current State aid rules for R&D&I;
- Identifying key concepts and rules in the current State aid rules for R&D&I, where further clarification is needed;
- Identifying key concepts and rules in the current State aid rules for R&D&I, where changes would be desirable to overcome practical problems in implementation;
- Communicating Taskforce preliminary views and proposals to the Commission and other stakeholders for feedback.
- Formulating the final views and detailed proposals on how rules and concepts could be clarified or changed;
The views of the Taskforce were presented and discussed with the Commission (DG Competition, DG Research and DG enterprise) and other stakeholders in a two day innovation policy workshop organised under the INNO-GRIPS project (funded by DG Enterprise) in 15.-16. April, 2010. The Taskforce views received good feedback. The Commission expressed especially the need to get practical examples highlighting the problems and challenges in implementation. This is a place where TAFTIE can show its unique strength by providing not only proposals, but supporting them with real life practical examples.