EWG Meeting II Edinburgh
Meeting II – Edinburgh
May 8th & 9th 2012
8th May – mid afternoon
Expert Session” on Horizon 2020 at the Taftie Executive Working Group meeting on the 8th May in Edinburgh, Scotland
The theme of the Expert Session is “The Use of Grand Challenges in Horizon 2020” it will act as preparatory event for the Taftie Policy Forum in Brussels in December this year. The expert session will run from 5-7pm on the 8th May and will involve Michael Arentoft of the European Commission DG Research and Innovation. Mr Arentoft coordinates the innovation dimensions in Horizon 2020. The Taftie director-level representatives from around 25 European innovation agencies will be present. Speakers from the Scottish Government are also invited to the Session to talk about supporting innovation in Scotland, and their preparations for Horizon 2020.
Purpose of the Expert Session
- Increase delegates’ understanding of H2020, specifically the use of ‘Grand Challenges’ and how they can be implemented in national agencies.
- Discuss and compare plans for implementation of/alignment with Grand Challenges in national agencies. Develop ideas and seek advice on delivering Grand Challenges.
- Provide feedback to the European Commission on their H2020 Grand Challenges plans.
The Expert Session will run from 5 to 7pm on the 8th May. The format will be 40 minutes of presentations followed by a discussion session:
- A presentation from Michael Arentoft, responsible for innovation in H2020, European Commission, specifically on the use of Grand Challenges in H2020
- A shorter presentation from Paul Lewis, Managing Director of Services and Commercialisation, and Ian McCoull, Business Innovation Director, at Scottish Enterprise on innovation support in Scotland and their ideas and plans for addressing H2020 ‘Grand Challenges’
- Debate/discussion on Grand Challenges in H2020 (not H2020 overall), and how challenge-led support can be delivered at European and national levels. This session is a chance for agencies to develop ideas and seek advice on delivering Grand Challenges, and also to provide the European Commission with important feedback on H2020 and Grand Challenges.
The session will be followed by a dinner from 8pm at one of the best restaurants in Edinburgh, on the Royal Mile. Taftie agency representatives will be present as well as key people from Scottish Enterprise, the Scottish innovation agency, and Scottish Universities.
9th May – EWG meeting